Friends for a lifetime?
Famous Quotes on friends and friendship:
“The only way to have a friend is to be one.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
“My best friend is the one brings out the best in me.” Henry Ford
“Be slow in choosing a friend, slower in changing.” Benjamin Franklin
“Friendship? Yes please.” Charles Dickens
“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” Martin Luther King Jr.
“Misfortune shows those who are not really friends.” Aristotle
“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” Anonymous
Friends & Acquaintance
Friend – A person well known to another, regarded with affection, loyalty and respect; one who gives assistance and is on good terms with another.
Acquaintance – A relationship that is less intimate than friendship.
“An Acquaintance is someone whose name you know, who you see every now and then, who you probably have something in common with and who you feel comfortable around. But, they are people who you don’t share your life with, whose actions sometimes you don’t understand because you don’t know enough about them” Anonymous
“A person whom we know well enough to borrow from, but not well enough to lend to” Anonymous
Qualities of a friend:
1) A true friend can and will improve your life. Proverbs 27: 17 As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
2) A true friend loves and accepts you as you are at all times. Proverbs 17: 17 A friend love at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
3) A true friend will not hesitate to speak the truth about you including your faults. Proverbs 27: 6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. Galatians 4:16 Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?
4) A true friend values your relationship and is unafraid of making sacrifice for your sake. John 15: 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.
Are YOU a ‘good friend’ material?
Proverbs 18: 24 A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother
A CHECKLIST TO TRACK YOUR ‘FRIENDLINESS’ QUOTIENT:
- Am I friendly myself? – Smile. Listen. Talk. Ask questions. Be interested.
- Am I good listener? – Be willing to listen and respect what the other person has to say.
- Am I dependent? – Walk the talk. Keep up commitments and promises.
- Am I approachable? – Be available and willing to help others whenever you can.
- Am I truthful? – Be real, genuine. Don’t pretend or flatter. Speak the truth in love at all times.
- Am I trustworthy? – Keep sensitive and confidential information confidential.
- Do I talk behind people’s back? – Refuse to gossip or participate in one.
- Do I put others’ needs above my own? – Treat others as you would prefer to be treated by them.
Adapted from the article “What makes a good friend?” by J. Dawkins
JESUS, OUR TRUE FRIEND!
John 15: 13-15 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are my friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.
Jesus calls us His friends
- He loves us unconditionally
- He gave His life for us while we were still sinners & His enemies
- He died, rose again, defeated sin, satan and death, so we could spend eternity with Him
- He gives us abundant life
- He gives us His strength
- He commands us to
ASK – ask – It will be given
Seek – You will find
Knock – It will be opened.
James 4: 4. …Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
- Am I a mere acquaintance of the Lord Jesus?
- Am I His friend?
- Am I a friend of the world?
- Have I accepted His friend request?
- Accept the friend request from the Lord Jesus.
- Receive His Love |Strength|Wisdom|Guidance| Comfort.
- Share with others His Love|Strength|Wisdom|Guidance |Comfort.
- Introduce Jesus your true friend to other friends.
Helpful? Sharing is caring. 🙂
Hit the follow button to get the notifications for all the new blogs.